Tuesday, November 17, 2009

"YOU LIE, driver of 39 759H!"

Remember last week's summary of a traffic incident on McHenry Avenue and Raffel Road? And the driver of a blue Toyota pick-up with Illinois license 39 759H?

I requested Woodstock Police Department to contact the driver, since he had reported, anonymously, to WPD that I was speeding north on Raffel Road.

Just had a visit from Ofc. L. Vasquez to fill me in on his contact with that driver. Get this!

According to Ofc. Vasquez, that driver told him that I had been tailgating him eastbound on McHenry Avenue from Irving and that I had passed him in the no-passing zone at Broadway. Then at Raffel Road that I made a left turn first and started north on Raffel Road. He said that he was behind me and pulled over to write down my license plate number, after which he followed me north on Raffel Road and then turned right on Banford.

Somebody has got to know who that clown is and who he works for. That guy has a serious problem with lying to police officers. I still wonder how he is connected.

This makes two times that I should have had my camera out and ready on the seat of the car. I'd make a lousy Boy Scout; right? Never prepared. Wouldn't it be nice to have a video of a driver passing me in a no-passing zone? Guess there wouldn't be any question about who passed whom!

I was glad to know that Woodstock P.D. has identified that other driver and that his name will appear in WPD records, even if he did lie and provide false information directly to a police officer. One of these days I'll probably come across somebody that that guy bragged to before Ofc. Vasquez showed up and who will testify that that driver had told a different story until the cop showed up.

And then he'll get charged with two incidents of lying to police: 1) when he phoned in an false report last Thursday and 2) when he lied directly to Ofc. Vasquez today.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to go on record as stating that 39 759H is NOT my license plate number. In fact, I only have one plate hanging on by coat hanger wire, and its all rusted out, like the rest of my vehicle.
If ya was looking thru your mirror, wouldn't the plate be H957 93 ? Doh.

FatParalegal said...

How will you prove your case in a court of (traffic) law? Sounds like "he said / she said". I still don't understand why the officer came and spoke with you if no report was going to be written.

Gus said...

Heh-heh. Good one. I read the plate as he passed me in the no-passing zone and when I stopped behind him at Raffel Road, waiting to turn left.

Gus said...

Whitmore2, you're exactly right. After Ofc. Vasquez was here today, I remembered that "the best defense is a good offense." So, instead of defending himself, the other driver just claimed that I had done exactly what he did.

Obviously, his lie is exposed by his claim that he turned left behind me, then stopped to write down my plate number, then followed me north on Raffel Road. While he did follow me north on Raffel Road, it was because he pulled right back into the roadway after I passed him stopped on the shoulder.

What would be great here would be a polygraph. It would prove who was lying.

Braff Zackton said...

There's a 50% chance this guy is telling the whole truth. Just because he's not telling the story on his blog doesn't make him a liar, and a polygraph could prove him 100% right. Also you wrote, "As anyone in Woodstock will tell you, I don't speed." I think what you mean is if you asked a few people in Woodstock they'd say they've never seen you speeding. Not exactly hard evidence. Anyone can have a bad day Gus, just slow down and be safe, you don't want to pass in no passing zones, it's dangerous and there are kids out there.

Gus said...

No doubt that I'm more than a little sensitive to being accused of such a gross traffic violation as passing in a no-passing zone.

Check out eastbound Route 120 at Broadway, and you'll see that it's not "just" a no-passing zone. There is an oncoming left-turn lane.

Thanks for giving me at least a 50% chance of being truthful. Some around here wouldn't be so generous.

I take a lot of heat from other drivers just because I do obey speed limits, right to the next sign. I don't increase my speed until I reach the sign indicating a higher speed, and I slow down so that I am at the lower speed by the time I reach the posted sign for a lower speed.

I don't tailgate, and I don't stop on another driver's bumper at a stop sign or light.

The other driver wasn't just having a bad day. He just breezed by me like he didn't give a damn about the yellow lines.

Kinda funny how he didn't report my supposed illegal pass last Thursday. That's because it didn't happen!

Gus said...

Many thanks for the communications sent to me directly, rather than as Comments to be posted.

I share your viewpoints and will be confirming your advice.

Thanks!