Monday, August 8, 2011

Vernon Hills PD Telecommunicator arrested

Getting information out of police departments and cities can often be a struggle.

My compliments to the Village of Vernon Hills for its cooperation and speed in providing information I requested today. I called earlier to attempt to verify employment information about a person arrested by McHenry Police last week and was asked to submit a FOIA request for it. I was politely directed to the correct webpage on the Village's website. Exactly one hour later I received a complete response to my inquiry.

Steven Hubbard, charged last Wednesday by the McHenry Police Department and currently in custody in the McHenry County Jail, is a civilian employee of the Village of Vernon Hills. He is assigned to Police Department Communications as a Telecommunicator.  He was hired 6 1/2 years ago.
 
Dealing with the McHenry Police Department was a little different.
 
Sunday morning I had called and was invited to leave a voicemail message for the on-duty sergeant. When he hadn't called back in 2 1/2 hours, I called again and left another message. He did return that call but told me that he had no information about Hubbard's arrest. (Well, okay, maybe officers at a department are kept in the dark if they aren't directly involved in an arrest.)
 
He told me that he had forwarded my first message to Deputy Chief (and press relations person) Lumber and that he (Chief Lumber) would call me back at 8AM Monday. When he called hadn't come by 11:30AM, I called Chief Lumber and left a message for him. The telecommunicator said he was expected back in about 30 minutes.
 
That was 7 1/2 hours ago. I wonder if there is a missing-person report out on him by now. I had just a few easy-to-answer questions.
 
How long was the case investigated before Hubbard was arrested?
Were other departments involved?
Where was Hubbard arrested? His home? His workplace? On the street? Or was he allowed to turn himself in?
Were any other children involved?
Are more charges expected?

A nice woman next to me at Joe Walsh's Saturday town hall meeting told me, "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar." I ran out of honey a long time ago.

5 comments:

bill Matteson said...

do ou think this is the reason it wasn't reported for so long?????

Makes one wonder

Gus said...

The McHenry Police Department made the arrest, and it is the one that should have promptly given the information to the media.

And they aren't talking, according to the article in today's paper.

Gus said...

And the deputy chief at McHenry P.D. STILL hasn't called me back.

Common courtesy would dictate that the deputy chief would return the call or delegate the return to his secretary or another department employee, if only to tell me that they weren't going to release any information.

Hallie said...

Who was it the other day who said something about having more luck with honey than vinegar? You only think you have everyone scared of you. Most folks I know consider you a nuisance and nothing more. Kinda like a pimple on their a**. What do they do with those? They bust or pop them. I'd expect that you should be used to rejection by now. Didn't your ex-wives teach you that much? Only some newbie idiot in government who doesn't know you will willingly cut you any slack. Expect to cross your t's and dot your i's for the rest of your life. Life is tough. It's much tougher when you're stupid.

Gus said...

Nobody is scared of me, Hallie. And no one needs to be scared of me. Nobody needs to cut me any slack, and I never ask anyone to do so.

Sorry you have such a tough life.