Friday, November 18, 2011

House bill no help to Illinois gunowners

The U.S. House of Representatives is on the verge of passing a bill creating reciprocity of concealed carry as a national law. According to the Associated Press, "A state permit to carry a concealed firearm would be valid in almost every other state in the country..."

"... in every other state that gives people the right to carry concealed weapons." And that leaves out Illinois!

Illinois is the hold-out. Illinois still prohibits carrying of concealed weapons by law-abiding, responsible, licensed, trained individuals. Frankly, I cannot believe I am living in the one state that is the hold-out.

What if all the law-abiding citizens left Illinois? Now there's a thought. Who would be left? The lawless and those who could not afford to move. And guess who would take over? And that would mean the Feds would have to come in, because those who could not afford to flee the state would also not be able to afford to pay for the services (police) to protect them.

How much longer will law-abiding residents have to wait for a concealed-carry law?

I wish I had gotten the name of the McHenry County Sheriff's deputy who told me in 1996 that I would never get a permit to carry a gun in Illinois. That was shortly after I moved here in March 1996. Is "never" a word that should never be used?

No comments: