Monday, November 7, 2011

I know the jail is busy, but ...

I know the sergeants (there are "sergeants"?) at the McHenry County Jail are busy, but this is ridiculous.

How long should you have to wait for a phone call to be returned? it's a 24-hour operation, isn't it? Or do the sergeants work on Monday-Friday, daytime hours, and after that, nobody bothers to listen to voicemail messages?

On November 3, 2011 (that was a Thursday) at 1:18PM, I called the Jail and left a message on the shift sergeant's voicemail, asking about a certain inmate. I asked if the inmate was still in custody and if there was an immigration hold. All public information. And what the Alien Registration Number was, if there was an immigration hold. All information that I've gotten previously regarding others.

As of 7:50PM today, apparently no one has listened to the message. Of course, I'm being somewhat kind (and cynical). Certainly, no sergeant would listen to my message and then delete it or fail to respond. Would he?

What do you suppose is the reason for no return call? There must be something in the certification manual (not CALEA; that's for the guys at the other end of the building) that governs phone calls.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought the Sarge's all wait around near the phone on the off chance you should call?
Many large businesses state that you should give them 2-3 days to respond via phone or email. So, I'd give'm a little slack. Afterall, it ususally takes you HOURS to post my replies, since you have to edit the explicatives, bad grammer, and misspellings. Doh.